Love your long hair but dying to try a new style? Our list of hairstyles for men with long hair is exactly what you need to inspire you. Today, medium to long hair is immensely popular among men – from sportsmen to creatives and corporate workers, longer hair is definitely in!
There are more options than you can imagine if you’re a man with long hair and it all starts with keeping your hair healthy.
We’ve compiled a list of long hairstyles for guys so that you can try something new the next time you make an appointment with your stylist. Let us help you discover the looks that can make you feel more confident and make you appear more attractive to women.
The Best Long Hairstyles for Men
1. Textured Shoulder-Length Cut
2. Best for Men Growing Their Hair
3. Wavy Hairstyle for Men with Long Hair
4. Messy Cut for a Man with Long Hair
5. Long Hair with Shaved Sides
6. Man Bun
7. Casual Hairstyle for Long Wavy Hair
8. Stylish Messy Style for Men with Shoulder-Length Hair
9. Long Messy Hairstyle and Beard
10. Mohawk with Shaved Sides
11. Man Bun with Shaved Neck Hair
12. Undercut Hairstyle with Long Top
13. Short Hairstyle for Men with Thick, Curly Hair
14. Short, Messy Hairstyle for Men
15. Curly Long Hair with Man Bun
16. Long, Wavy Hairstyle for Men
17. Long Wavy Hairstyle For Men
18. Tom Cruise’s Hairstyle
19. Chris Hemsworth Long Hairstyle
20. Johnny Depp Long Hairstyle
21. Long Hairstyle For Men With Thick Hair
22. Wavy Top Cut for Men with Beards
23. Taylor Lautner Long Hairstyle
24. Soft Long Hairstyle for Men
25. Soft Top Curl Cut with Shaved Sides
26. Keanu Reeves Long Hairstyle
27. Shoulder-Length Hairstyle with Middle Parting
28. Half Up Man Bun
29. Men’s Long Hairstyle for Curly Hair
30. Medium Hairstyle for Men with Thick Hair
31. Flowing Long Hairstyle for Men
32. Long Hairstyle for Men with Tight Curls
33. Messy Shoulder-Length Cut for Men with Thick Hair
34. Long to Short Wavy Hairstyle for Men
35. Long Thin Dreadlocks For Men
36. Messy Bob Hairstyle for Men
37. Curly Long Hairstyle for Men
38. Shoulder-Length Wavy Men’s Hairstyle
39. Men’s Medium Hairstyles
40. Messy Medium-Length Hairstyle for Men
41. Wavy Long Hairstyle for Men
42. Men’s Semi-Long Hairstyle
43. Messy & Curly Long Hairstyle for Men
44. Men’s Long Curly Hair
45. Extra-Long Hairstyle for Men
46. Medium-Length Hairstyle for Men with Thick Hair
47. Brad Pitt Slicked-Back Hairstyle
48. Braided Long Hairstyle For Men
49. Hairstyle For Men With Long, Straight Hair
50. Viking Hairstyle for Men
51. Rugged Men’s Hairstyle
Popular Styles for Men with Long Hair
One of the most popular hairstyles for men with long hair is the man bun. This trendy twisted knot has been around for some time now, which means it’s here to stay. In fact, it is now considered a must-try hairstyle for men with long hair who want a stylish look. With the man bun, you are not limited to only one hairstyle – there are a number of ways that you can rock it.
A man bun is perhaps one of the easiest hairstyles to create with long hair. You can choose how to style it depending on how comfortable you want to be. In addition to this, you’ll need to decide how much time you are willing to spend on it and what your limits are.
Another popular hairstyle choice for men with long hair is a simple ponytail. The fact that it works for everyone is just one of the reasons why it’s so popular. Regardless of your gender or race, a ponytail looks great on everyone and it’s a must for anyone with long hair. This is probably the original way of styling long hair because it’s so easy to accomplish. Plus, it’s effective too.
If you happen to have thick, curly hair, you actually don’t need to do much at all. When you care for your curls and grow your hair, there is less chance of frizz and you can easily wear your hair down – which is a great hairstyle all its own.
If you want a few recommendations on shampoos that will help keep your curly hair in great condition, we’ve put together a list of our top 13 shampoos.
Popular Haircuts for Men with Long Hair
If you have a shoulder-length hair then you do not need consistent styling, which is why most men with long hair choose this haircut. If you want a more relaxed way to style your hair, create a simple side-sweep. With this style, you can let your hair fall naturally and by avoiding a middle parting, you can create a solid, well-structured finish.
There are cool haircuts for men with long hair, however, you can also choose to let your hair grow out. Long hair can definitely make a statement, provided you take good care of your locks. It should also be noted that long hairstyles for men can look a bit blunt, particularly if the hair is dead straight, which is why it’s important to go to a stylist that specializes in long hair.
Cutting Hairstyles for Men with Long Hair
Any of these long hairstyles for men can easily be achieved with the right techniques, tools, and products. Here are some of the basic steps you would following to cut long hair on men:
- To start, you will need to make a line down the middle of the top portion of the head.
- Next, cut the bottom portion of the hair at the back. The cut should be completely straight
- To give the hair more movement, create layers by cutting in a downward direction
- By the time that you’ve reached the semi-top portion of the head, place a comb along with the hair and clip the hair on the top
- When you reach the top, take the long hair then clip it
- Keep in mind that the first piece should be used as a guideline for the succeeding ones
Since cutting men’s hair does require some practice, this video will help if you are new to styling long hair on men:
Creating Hairstyles for Men with Long Hair
Long hairstyles for men can easily be created. Once you’ve cut the hair to the desired length, you will require specific styling products, which will help you to style the hair and keep it in great condition. Before you start creating your desired style, use the right shampoo and conditioner to wash and moisturize the stands. When choosing a hairstyle, be sure to keep the texture of the hair in mind.
Generally, if you have thick, frizzy hair then you need a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. In addition, if you have thin hair, then the best product to buy is a volumizing shampoo and conditioner. Furthermore, if your hair is curly then use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. These are the hair products that you need for the overall maintenance of your hair.
Over and above the maintenance products, you will also need something to style your hair. If you are dealing with shoulder-length hair then perhaps you should use a lightweight wax, which will smooth any flyaways. At the same time, it can keep the hair in place. If you happen to be dealing with lengthier hair, you could use a mousse to give you soft, waves.
One product that many men tend to forget about is hairspray. Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually a must-have product for men. We’ve created a blog that reviews several amazing hair sprays for men.
Growing Your Locks to Try Hairstyles for Men with Long Hair
Some celebrities such as Brad Pitt and Jared Leto are sporting long haircuts for men. They make it look easy but rocking this look can be a bit challenging if this is the first time you’ll be growing your locks. The process definitely requires some fine-tuning. Here are a few tips that will help you grow your hair longer as a man:
- Find a cream or oil that you can apply to your hair once a week to speed up growth
- Growing your hair long takes time, which is why you will need patience during this process
- Try not to cut your hair too often. Experts recommend waiting 10 to 12 weeks before you have your first haircut. Your hair grows half an inch to one inch each month, which means you also can’t take too much off when you do finally cut your hair. You will quickly see how your hair reacts after your first hair cut and you will be able to tell how long it will take you to reach your final goal
- Avoid over-shampooing your hair. Shampoos can make your hair light and silky but this can also make your hair difficult to manage. If you need to shampoo your hair then you must do it before going to bed. This way, the oils that are naturally produced by the scalp can nourish your hair as you sleep
- Don’t risk your career. If at any point your hair is becoming unmanageable and is starting to look too untidy, rather schedule a sideburn trim or neck shave so that you at least look professional at work and client meetings
- Select the right products to help you style and maintain your hair. Pomades, waxes, gels, and other products such as this are especially in humid weather. Humidity can cause frizziness but the right products can keep this at bay while you grow your hair. In order to tame the hair behind the ears, you need to use a clay pomade. Spread it evenly by using a comb. You could even consider getting a dehumidifier to avoid frizz.
Before growing your new long hairstyle
We hope that this guide has opened your eyes to all of the possible hairstyles for men with long hair. If this will be the first time that you’re growing your hair, keep in mind that long hair is very delicate. If you want it to work in your favor and look good, you’re going to need to take good care of it. You may also need to spend more time on care and maintenance than you’re used to.
Many men who grow their hair say they’re very reluctant to go back to a shorter style. Before you settle on a new hairstyle, you may even want to try out one of those apps that applies a new hairstyle to your face.
Finally, remember that rocking long hairstyles requires a little attitude and you must be willing to make some adjustments to your daily routine. Feel free to experiment with different hairstyles. A change like this really can be as good as a holiday.
Started with cutting his brother’s hair when he was 7 years old, Joseph always wanted to become a famous hairstylist. After graduating college that’s exactly what he did, traveling the world while working in salons in the most diverse cities, learning from the best hairdressers of our time. Now he shares his knowledge with us by inspiring articles, photographs, and hairstyle advice.